Market Rasen becomes an Art Gallery from 2 Feb-2 Mar for ‘Plank 2013′ when diverse exhibitions by independent designer/makers from Lincolnshire will be displayed in a range of unusual places and spaces
We are thrilled that as part of Market Rasen’s Portas Town Pilot status the Arts Council England has awarded the town’s business improvement group (MR BIG) £10K to deliver a community-focused arts festival in the town.
For 4 weeks in February 2013, Market Rasen will become an art gallery with work being exhibited in unusual places and spaces to create an arts trail, including: empty shops, railway station, market place, high street shop windows, pubs, cafes, school and church.
In case you’re wondering, the ‘Rasen’ of Market Rasen comes from an Anglo Saxon word meaning ‘planks’! It also means ‘bridge’ so it seemed the perfect name for a festival that will create links within the community and its rural hinterland.
The festival is organised by volunteer director of community, arts & culture, Sarah Lamballe, led and curated by established yarn bombing, mixed media community artist Carol Parker, along with early career Market Rasen artist Seb van B part of Market Rasen’s Portas Pilot journey since the first Extraordinary Market Rasen Portas Pop-Up Market, plus emerging artist Richard Chuck whose work is inspired by the stunning Wolds landscape and is a celebration of the rural area’s unique assets.
The Arts and Crafts Festival will be a celebration of Market Rasen’s assets and qualities, namely: our markets, racecourse, beautiful countryside, golf course, shops, woodland, biking and hiking routes, train station and our heritage and architecture.
Additionally we would like to recognise the unique character and personality of our town: friendly, traditional, rural, genuine, vibrant with great potential and a community spirit.
As this activity is a spin off from our Portas Pilot win, with the focus on regenerating the British High Street, we are also keen that this project is inspired by the ideas of TRANSFORMATION and REGENERATION.
Call for Submissions!
We are seeking proposals from artists in the Lincolnshire area, to exhibit, showcase or perform their work at ‘Plank 2013’; emphasis to be on quality of work with visual impact to create a striking display across all art forms.
‘Plank 2013’ is an arts and craft festival to raise awareness of the quality and quantity of arts practitioners in the county and an opportunity for established, as well as new emerging artists, to promote their work. We will work together to create a sustainable annual showcase for the arts in Lincolnshire and to put our county on the ‘must see’ list of festival. We don’t have to be big to be successful, we aim to be small but different; amazing and accessible; inclusive and incredible!
Surprise us! Collaborative proposals are encouraged either from groups of artists or innovative cross art form partnerships as well as individual submissions. 2D, busking, installation, textiles, film, soundscape, live performance, whatever it is you do, we want you. Work can be something you have already completed that you want to exhibit or a new piece that you would like to promote.
You provide the artistic experience and we will provide the venue.
Stage One – Application process
– Email submissions preferred to the Town Centre Manager Nicola Marshall at: email@example.com
Or by post to: Nicola Marshall, Town Centre Manager, Market Rasen Business Improvement Group, 27 Market Place, Market Rasen, LN8 3HL
– Application deadline: Midnight Sunday 20th January 2013
Applications should include:
– A maximum of 6 images that are representative of your work, including approx dimensions of the work to be displayed, the medium and other relevant info.
– Any specific requirements ie: power, performance space preferred (although you may have to be flexible on this one but that’s part of the fun!)
– Up to 500 words about you and your work and an outline of your proposal for ‘Plank 2013’
– Links to websites, videos etc.
Stage Two – Selection outcome
You will be notified by midnight on Friday 25th January 2013 of the outcome of selection.
After this the team will match up your work with the various venues and supply contact details for you to arrange to view the display area and arrange installation or rehearsal.
Terms and conditions
- ‘Plank Festival 2013’ reserve the right to curate the trail, based on submissions that answer the call and the number of available displaying venues.
- By submitting you are agreeing to allow Plank Festival to use images and written material to promote the art trail and your practice.
- If selected you are agreeing to deliver your work to the organisers preferred venue and allowing them to install your work.
- Work to be installed by Friday 1st February 2013
- Work to be on display until close of the Festival on Saturday 2nd March 2013.
- Plank Festival is hoping to arrange an auction of any unsold work immediately after the March market. (Full details of auction t&cs to be provided in response to any application).
- Unsold work to be collected during the week 4th March or by a date arranged with the venue.
- Plank Festival will produce a trail map guide of the selected artists which will be available in outlets around the town and through a download link on Market Rasen BIG blog.
- Artists are responsible for their own public liability insurance and Plank Festival cannot insure their work so will not be held liable for any costs incurred.
- Plank Festival reserves the right to prioritise selection of works by location: 1. Local 2. Regional
- Plank Festival does not set out to make selling opportunities, however works can be sold on the artist’s behalf if priced, via MR BIG and unsold work sold after the festival via auction (tbc).